SOUTH PADRE ISLAND, Texas – South Padre Island officials are reviewing an expansion of the city convention center that could cost between $84 million and $92 million and nearly double the building's size.
The City Council met Aug. 11 with representatives of The Broadus Co., the project manager, to discuss cost, design and timing. The convention center opened in 1992 at a cost of $12.75 million on land owned by Cameron County.
Three concepts were presented. Plan A was estimated at $84 million, Plan B at $89 million and Plan C at $92 million. No final plan was approved, although discussion indicated the third option was receiving the closest consideration.
That concept would add exhibit space, meeting rooms, a hall and offices. The expansion would increase the center from approximately 92,804 square feet to 188,482 square feet. A previously discussed 300-seat theater has been removed from the plans.
Convention and Visitors Bureau Executive Director Kelly de Schaun said the center is booked through 2030. Supporters argue that more space would help the island compete for larger meetings, sporting events, concerts and trade shows that generate hotel and restaurant spending.
The neighboring wildlife viewing area remains a major design concern. Birders and other residents opposed an earlier concept that would have affected the habitat, and Cameron County commissioners also raised objections. Current planning is intended to avoid removing the popular viewing area.
Former Mayor Barry Patel questioned the cost and warned it could reach $120 million. Mayor Patrick McNulty said the city needs the expansion but should take a fiscally conservative approach. Financing and a construction schedule remain under review.
